While preparing for a storytelling performance, I was reviewing Rumplestiltskin - it was the first folktale that awakened me to the deeper power of story. I haven't performed it in years, but was considering it for my Harvest Stories From Around The World program.
So far, the theme seems to be sowing what we reap, sort of thing. I'm not big on stories with obvious moral lessons. They don't hold the elegance of a tale that makes me wonder if right is really right, or if maybe my opinion isn't really more about me and less about how things are. I really love a tale that makes me question my assumptions. Rumplestiltskin, perhaps because it is such an old friend, has become inelegant to me.
It's not the story - it's me.
Like any doorway into deeper understanding, what I see says more about me than about the doorway. I'm beginning to suspect there's more gold to mine in this story - the question is....am I willing to sit with it? Am I willing to enter with eyes wide open and allow my heart to inform me?
Yes,
I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment