I recently attended our Symphony's opening concert. One of the pieces was Symphonic Dances from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein. I don't have a great deal of background in classical music so I'm always open to hearing the music as it is that evening as opposed to having any opinion about a particular piece.
When I heard the Symphonic Dances I was elated. It has such character, movement and richness. This is a piece of music that tells a great story. It probably helps to be somewhat familiar with the plot of West Side Story, because the various movements lead the listener yon and thither.
At intermission, a group of friends were gathered and one woman who I know only peripherally asked where I tell stories. She'd only just learned that I did.
I'm always stumped by that question. I usually respond by asking another question: "Where would you go to hear a storyteller?"
'There's a place for us......' These days stories are told in books, movies, music, visual art, theater - but where is the place we go to sit in the company of a traditional tale teller and engage in the Art of Story? A place where we share not only words and ideas, but a common emotional and spiritual experience.
There are festivals, to be sure, but this feels too isolated from the day to day experiences we all share. Storytelling is a daily activity. It is a cathartic activity. It gives each of us insight into ourselves and into one another.
Let's find 'a place for us.'
No comments:
Post a Comment