Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Wisdom In Story

For many years, as a Traditional Storyteller, I have enjoyed folktales as a pool of imagery and ideas from which to draw upon.  Telling, listening to and reading stories can increase our creative problem solving abilities, give us opportunities for empathy and bring greater self-awareness.  Each post will talk about the story wisdom of a multi-cultural folktale, book, movie, and even, current event.

It's been said that we can change only one thing in life - how we perceive and therefore respond to the 'what happens' in our life.  The richness of cultural and personal information in stories can assist us and deepen our experience - truly a great gift.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Wow! This looks like a great blog! I really hope you keep it up. I am a big believer in the power of stories: we are a species that lives by them in nearly every facet of our lives. We live them, we tell them and, hopefully, we have the courage to shape them as well.

My best to you and this project.

Zette said...

Shawn;
Thanks for your comment - I'm glad to know you feel this way.
Please feel free to send story wisdom our way as well.
Best,
Zette