Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When It Pays To Be An Idiot

Courtesy of myLot
Mulla Nasrudin used to stand in the street on market days to be pointed out as an idiot.
No matter how often people offered him a large and a small coin, he always chose the smaller piece. One day, a kindly man said to him: "Mulla, you should take the bigger coin. Then you will have more money and people will no longer be able to make a laughing stock of you."
"That might be true," said Nasrudin, "but if I always take the larger, people will stop offering me money to prove that I am more idiotic than they are. Then I would have no money at all."

___________________________________________________

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."  Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette

Doing what you want in life, can often make you look like a fool.  The key is, know your purpose.  When I know my purpose, nothing sways me, stops me or delays me in reaching my goal.  When I know my purpose, I have a secret knowledge that makes me as wise as Nasrudin, and as rich.

How do I find my purpose?  My Why?  

One of my favorite TED Talks is by Simon Sinek, called How Great Leaders Inspire Action.  In it, he creates a visual explanation of the importance of knowing, and communicating, your Why.  It's compelling and I have completed my own Golden Circle.




 Start with your What, the outer circle.  This is the easiest area to identify.  Then, see if you can clearly state your How.  Finally, make a list of what is most important to you in life.  Think about what would get you out of bed every morning.  Work to identify your Why.

For a blank copy of this diagram you can visit my Join The Tribe page and download a copy.  If you need assistance filling this in, Join The Tribe and send me a note.  

When you know your Why, you may do foolish things, 

you may look foolish to others, 

but you will have a bullet-proof belief in who you are and what you do.
Síocháin,
Zette


©copyright Zette Harbour 2011 all rights reserved www.ZetteHarbour.com

No comments: